Wednesday, April 9, 2008

LEADERSHIP

While my fellowship experience in the Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program is coming to a close (graduating this summer!), I will carry with me important life lessons on leadership. In fact, I keep them posted at my desk as daily reminders. They originated from daily observations of federal leaders and mentors that I deeply admire and respect. These extraordinary folks taught me that…

The workplace ought to be the most creative place on the planet;

Everything is an experiment;

Expect the unexpected;

Everyone is invaluable and irreplaceable;

Give people respect when they least expect it and least deserve it;

Playing it safe is risky (never be afraid of change – don't become complacent); but

Maturity does not equal conformity;

Go the extra mile; and

Leadership is an action, not a position or title.

Young feds, what are you learning about leadership? How will you apply those lessons in your life and career? Whether surrounded by good or bad leaders in the workplace, I encourage you to write down your observations on leadership. You'll be surprise by your list, and hopefully inspired and transformed.

Lora L. Allen

Young Government Leaders, Membership Committee Chair, 2007-2008

Presidential Management Fellow, 2006-2008

No comments: